Sunday, May 19, 2013

Community Acupuncture


"The theory behind acupuncture in Traditional Chinese Medicine involves, in part, the regular flow of energy in the body. Various points on the body (acupuncture points) are connected by pathways, termed meridians. Traditional practitioners believe these meridians conduct energy, or qi, between the surface of the body and internal organs. Blockage of this energy may result in illness or disease. Acupuncture is said to unblock the meridians, allowing the energy to flow properly.".


"Studies show that acupuncture can relieve physical problems associated with tension, stress and other emotional conditions (such as depression)."
 
 
 
 

"Community Acupuncture means that you will receive your treatment in a large, quiet, comfortable room; you will be sitting in a recliner, or lying on a yoga mat with props; you do not need to disrobe, you just need to roll your sleeves up to your elbows and your pants up to your knees; you and your acupuncturist will speak briefly in whispers before you get treated; you can stay as long as you want; and last but not least, there will be other people getting treated at the same time, in the same room, in the same way. Community acupuncture makes it easy for people to get treatments whenever they want, to be treated with their families and friends, to feel comfortable rather than isolated, and to create together a collective energetic field, which makes the individual treatments more powerful and clinically effective."


"Acupuncture is most successful at treating ailments (both acute and chronic) when performed consistently. Community Acupuncture works on a sliding scale per treatment which makes it possible to come in for acupuncture frequently enough and regularly enough to really feel better."

www.nirvanawellnessnj.com/community-acupuncture

  

I was initially introduced to Terri and community acupuncture by Madeline when they worked together at Growing with the Seasons.  I'm grateful that I was able to work with both women at the same time as I believe both experiences complimented each other and helped to prepare me for the changes that were about to happen in my life.

One acupuncture session in particular will always stand out for me.  I had taken off my shoes and, as silently as I could, made my way over to an available recliner to await my turn.  Terri came over to me once she was free and quietly asked how I was feeling.  Based on my answers to her questions, she placed the acupuncture needles.

I want to state for the record that I always felt good after an acupuncture session.  The only mildly unpleasant feeling I ever had up to this point was stomach spasms when Terri placed and moved  the needles.  I have since come to believe that I have a solar plexus chakra imbalance brought on by way too much stress in my life.  My stomach spasms when I have any kind of energy work as my body attempts to release negativity

That evening, after Terri removed the needles, I had a headache but didn't think much about it as I got up to leave.  I'm not sure if she sensed something was off but when she asked I mentioned that my head hurt.  She told me to sit back down as acupuncture was suppose to make you feel better.  She put new needles in to help.  When she checked back with me I began to shake and have chills.  Oh my God!  I realized that I was having a panic attack in front of another person.  I have never been the type to make a fuss.  I loath drawing attention to myself.  I was mortified. Terri put an essential oil on the soles of my feet and held them until the shaking stopped.  I knew next to nothing about Reike at the time so I didn't ask if she had been attuned.  All I remember is the feeling of calming warmth, radiating up from my feet, grounding me, and causing the panic to subside. 

The reason I will always remember this experience is that it was one of the first times that I felt truly seen and believed.  Members of my family didn't take my panic attacks seriously or implied that I could just snap my fingers and never have one again. It doesn't work that way!  

Being seen and heard by others is so powerful.  Its OK to be noticed.  You don't have to fade into the woodwork for fear of offending someone because you may actually have an opinion that differs from theirs.  I try now to always look directly at and make eye contact with each person I speak with.  I've always been shy and self-conscious so its not easy but I'm working on it.

 

Have you tried acupunture?  Do you feel seen and heard?  How or what would you change? 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment