Friday, May 3, 2013

In Memory of Megan

     On January 13, 2006, my goddaughter was killed in a tragic car accident.  She was only six years old.  I can’t begin to express how her loss has impacted my life.  She was an extraordinary, fun loving little girl, dancing around the living room one minute, quiet and introspective the next.  I can honestly say that she loved me unconditionally and my life lost its verve after she was gone.
     I knew she was special from the moment I first held her.  Friends and family had been convinced that my sister was having a boy.  It may sound selfish, but I really wanted to have a goddaughter to spoil.  I remember sitting in the waiting room trying to convince myself that I could actually have a great time watching football.  Needless to say, she had me wrapped around her tiny little finger at three hours old. 
     I knew instantly that we would get along famously since we were both water signs (Pisces and Cancer).  I am quite proud of the fact that her third word, after mama and dada, was bubble.  One of the things I miss the most is sitting on the floor next to the bathtub, playing Barbie with her.  As she got older, she would give me actual lines to say.  She would get very upset if I tried to adlib.  She was also more willing to tell me what was going on in her head when she was up to her chin in bubbles.
     She was very kind and empathetic.  She had this uncanny knack of being able to read people.  She would just blow me away with her questions.  It was as if she could see my inner most thoughts.  One night at dinner, my sister mentioned that she was feeling stressed.  Apparently, Megan had learned all about the subject from her Health teacher.  She proceeded to explain to my sister that stress was not good for her and that it would help to talk about what was bothering her.  She then recited her telephone number and advised her mother to give her a call anytime.  We were all stunned.

No comments:

Post a Comment