Friday, May 3, 2013

Panic Attacks 101


According to the Mayo Clinic, "Panic attacks typically begin suddenly, without warning. They can strike at almost any time — when you're driving the car, at the mall, sound asleep or in the middle of a business meeting. Panic attacks have many variations, but symptoms usually peak within 10 minutes. You may feel fatigued and worn out after a panic attack subsides."  This was almost all true for me except for the fact that they lasted a heck of a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Panic attacks typically include a few or many of these symptoms:

  • Sense of impending doom or danger-  I was terrified while driving back and forth to work for fear of losing control of my car and hurting someone.
  • Fear of loss of control or death-  I barely slept for over six months because I was afraid I wouldn't wake up in the morning.
  • Rapid heart rate-  Ended up in the ER three times thinking I was having a heart attack.  The symptoms escalating each time.
  • Sweating- Yes
  • Trembling- Yes
  • Shortness of breath- Yes
  • Hyperventilation- Yes
  • Chills- Yes
  • Hot flashes- Yes
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal cramping
  • Chest pain-  I was given Nitroglycerin during my third ER visit which caused an adverse reaction.  I was sent to a room in their Cardiac wing.  When I heard the nurse direct the orderly to take me to room thirteen I knew everything would be alright.  My angel in heaven was watching over me.  It was the Cardiologist who recommended I try acupuncture.  She said I was too young to be in that room.  I wish I could tell her how much her advise helped me.
  • Headache- Yes
  • Dizziness
  • Faintness
  • Tightness in your throat
  • Trouble swallowing

"One of the worst things about panic attacks is the intense fear that you'll have another one. You may fear having a panic attack so much that you avoid situations where they may occur. You may even feel unable to leave your home (agoraphobia) because no place feels safe."

I did not want the last three sentences above to be the only things I had to look forward to for the rest of my life.  I have worked very hard to deal with the panic and make it stop.  I am the happiest I have been in a very long time.  I'm also very hopeful for the future which is HUGH for me.  I can also say to anyone who is reading this and suffering from panic or anxiety that it really will get better.  Don't give up!  Investigate holistic modalities.  Try new things even if the thought terrifies you.  Confide in friends that you can trust.  It will all be worth it.      

1 comment:

  1. There are herbs that can help with panic attacks, and I agree that using several holistic modalities in tandem is a more realistic approach to lessening their frequency and shortening their duration.

    Thanks for this detailed information!
    Green Blessings!

    ReplyDelete